Sunday, July 03, 2005

Tell me again why the Mac is better?

Kevin Werback - werblog


I'm still finding the Mac experience surprisingly frustrating. I posted this in the comments, but it's worth putting it on my main blog to invite people to respond.
My biggest surprise is that I'm seeing few things that are actually better on my Powerbook than my old Thinkpad. Can someone help me out here?
The reasons for preferring the Mac that I've heard so far are:
Better stability -- I believe this is true, but in a week with the Powerbook I've had two crashes requiring me to remove the battery, and at least one force quit per day. No unexplained chronic problems like I got from time to time with Windows, but again, it has only been a week.
fewer viruses -- Definitely true. On the other hand, I used a firewall and virus checker on my Windows machine, and didn't use Microsoft's email or Web browser apps. So I never spent any time dealing with viruses on my Thinkpad.
Better networking -- So far, this has been the biggest surprise. My Powerbook doesn't recognize the Linksys WiFi access point right next to it, and it often fails to recognize USB hard drives and keychain drives. Since I use USB drives all the time for backup and file transfer, the latter is a royal pain. I also couldn't get the Powerbook to print over the Internet to a laser printer that worked right away on my Thinkpad. So, how is the Mac actually better in this department?
Print to PDF -- Useful, but that's just bundling a feature I already had with Acrobat.
Dashboard -- Doesn't do it for me. If I'm going to use widgets, I want them always available on the desktop, rather than requiring a mode switch. I know I can get that with Konfabulator, but I had that on Windows.
Spotlight -- A nice feature. But the biggest thing I search through is email, and I can already do that with much more powerful features within Eudora.
Instant on from sleep -- Better, but trivial.
So, what am I missing? Why is a Mac today actually better than a PC? Virtually everything I've seen so far is an improvement in basic, out-of-the-box functionality, but not an advantage over the tuned Thinkpad I gave up.
And before anyone flames me, I'll reiterate that I was a die-hard Mac user for a decade before I (grudgingly) went over to Windows. I've just spent $9,000 on Mac hardware and software, and I want to feel that I made the right choice.

7 Comments:

Blogger Joe Muka said...

Just surfing around late night and came upon your blog...I liked it.
My site about Voip Equipment is hard to have a blog for VOIP stuff and boring too

11:38 PM  
Blogger JT said...

Great Blog! A real pleasure to read! Do you know that Traffic Portals will really boost your conversion rates and generate exclusively yours leads? We offer VOIP webinars - Marketing Courses Using Web Conferences about Traffic Portals I also have a website that talks about various high profile topics such as Retirement and includes an eBusiness Directory. I also would like to tell all of you reading this terrific blog about Retirement that should you be in need of a terrific host for a serious eCommerce Website that www.Kiosk.ws is Awesome Hosting value! They have the best online support team for all of your technical questions and a 3 minute emergency pager too. Looking to start your own affiliate program? They have an excellent script for you! They give you $70,000 dollars worth of software to build just about any type of e-commerce website you need! Go check it out if you get a chance. You can make more money than you spend and Create Free Will for Yourself! Again, Great Blog! Thanks. The info on Retirement Sooner was very informative!

9:30 AM  
Blogger My VoIp Solutions said...

Hey, you have a great blog here! I'm definitely going to bookmark you!

I have a product voip site/blog. It pretty much covers product voip related stuff.

Come and check it out if you get time :-)

12:03 PM  
Blogger haidi said...

Hi,

We may share some interest part of telecommunications story or update, so visit my website **Telecom** site/blog. It pretty much covers Telecommunications Updates related stuff.

Have a nice day.
Otai

4:32 AM  
Blogger Chuck Reynolds said...

ericsson fone mobile MyOpp is the first portal to activate a complete portfolio of income streams with one click!ericsson fone mobile

6:35 PM  
Blogger My VoIp Solutions said...

I just came across your blog and wanted to drop you a note telling you how impressed I was with the information you have posted here.
I also have a web site & blog about flyfone voip so I know what I'm talking about when I say your site is top-notch! Keep up the great work!

12:27 AM  
Blogger Henry Fernandes said...

I just want to inform everyone to a new web site called VoIP Spear (www.voipspear.com) to measure your QoS. It's the Internet's best and most accessible QoS testing service. It utilizes packet loss, latency, and jitter to calculate a MOS score between 1 (very poor quality) and 5 (excellent quality) for your Internet connection. VoIP Spear runs 24x7x365 so you can always have an idea of what your VoIP QoS is.

VoIP Spear shows your QoS in easy-to-read charts. You can also have it send you email alerts when your quality drops too low.

VoIP Spear (www.voipspear.com) is free for personal use.

1:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home