Sunday, July 03, 2005

Live 8 Thoughts

Andy Abramson - VoIP Watch


For those who don't know, I was one of the guys who got involved in streaming media back in the 90's. I'm constantly amazed at how in some ways other than there being more pipe (i.e. better, faster bandwidth to the home) and better compression technology, not much has really changed.
That was until today. Watching the feed from London of U2, ColdPlay, Elton John, then shifting to Berlin for AudioSlave, to Rome for DuranDuran, even having multiple "stages" opened on the Mac showed me just how great this could be.
I remember in the 80's being at my friend's, the Trimble's house in Wyckoff, NJ during the first Live Aid, watching the original Live Aid show and realizing that Music on TV just changed. I have the same feeling about music on the Internet because with quality like this, concert video on Demand for pay becomes a very interesting proposition.
Sure there are rights issues to be resolved, and this is a charity event, but basically if this is the NEW AOL platform, they have made a bold step in the direction of being a leader in the delivery of content along with Microsoft's Windows Media platform.
I think we are seeing today, the start of something really serious when it comes to the next generation of content delivery.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home