Sunday, July 03, 2005

The Joke That Was Jajah

Aswath Rao - Aswath Weblog



A few days back I read about Jajah in a note written by Phil Wolff in Skype Journal. Based on that, when I visited Jajah’s website, some of the claims were outlandish. And when I read Om’s entry, I felt that we might have discussed this. (wink, wink). So I decided to elaborate on my thoughts, questioning some of the claims. As I searched for the exact references, lo and behold they were not to be found. Did I hallucinate reading these or they disappeared from the original site? I am not sure. What follows are some of the points I thought I read, but I can not locate them now.

Jajah is a P2P phone, but unlike Skype will not use the resources of your computer. Of course this is not true. In their description of the network architecture, they do identify that they have supernodes and also admit that they have “bootstrap” supernodes.
Connect to Skype users, even if the Skype client is turned off. I am sure I read this. Honest. But I searched their entire website. It is not there now. In any event, Stuart Henshall points out that they have a few Skype clients running that acts like a proxy. Still I am not sure how this thing works exactly. Surely this will not work for Skype to Jajah direction. But if my Skype partner will accept calls only from his buddies, won’t my Jajah invite get blocked by Skype, because as far as Skype is concerned it is coming from this Skype proxy. Finally let us assume that the session gets established. Since we do not know the encryption done by Skype, Jajah proxy has to deliver raw voice sample to Skype. This means there has to be double encoding, leading to increased delay. This should surely affect the quality.
Talk to “millions of SIP and IAX phones for free”. Of course this applies only to those that have established a peering agreement. For example, I am sure Vonage is out.
But one amusing item is still available. It is the background story that is told via a press clipping. But there is no reference or even the date of publication. What is more, the accompanying picture seems to suggest that Bill Gates is listening to this mystic person very attentively. Is that supposed to mean something? If so, I am not sure what that is. Any currently I think the “founder” is not a real person, but a “Bourbaki”.
Given the changes, I am scaling back my total rejection. So here is a summary of Jajah. Like Skype and other IMs, the client is an integrated client that provides text, voice and video chat. The system is a P2P system (as if that bestows magical powers). They offer “Out” service. Some of the rates are much lower than available from other places. I hope it is not “an introductory offer”.
Of course I have neither installed nor used the client. People with more experience in usability aspects will eventually comment on it. But I have the same set of questions that I raised in reference to Skype: if I need to communicate with my buddies, why do I need to register with an entity and beholden to them? I am still rooting for Autonomous Communication.

8 Comments:

Blogger JT said...

Great Blog! A real pleasure to read! Do you know that Traffic Portals will really boost your conversion rates and generate exclusively yours leads? We offer VOIP webinars - Marketing Courses Using Web Conferences about Traffic Portals I also have a website that talks about various high profile topics such as Retirement and includes an eBusiness Directory. I also would like to tell all of you reading this terrific blog about Retirement that should you be in need of a terrific host for a serious eCommerce Website that www.Kiosk.ws is Awesome Hosting value! They have the best online support team for all of your technical questions and a 3 minute emergency pager too. Looking to start your own affiliate program? They have an excellent script for you! They give you $70,000 dollars worth of software to build just about any type of e-commerce website you need! Go check it out if you get a chance. You can make more money than you spend and Create Free Will for Yourself! Again, Great Blog! Thanks. The info on Retirement Sooner was very informative!

9:12 AM  
Blogger My VoIp Solutions said...

Hey, you have a great blog here! I'm definitely going to bookmark you!

I have a phone services voip site/blog. It pretty much covers phone services voip related stuff.

Come and check it out if you get time :-)

1:42 PM  
Blogger haidi said...

Hi,

We may share some interest part of telecommunications story or update, so visit my website **Telecom** site/blog. It pretty much covers Telecommunications Updates related stuff.

Have a nice day.
Otai

5:45 AM  
Blogger Joe Muka said...

Just surfing around late night and came upon your blog...I liked it.
My site about Voip Phone Service is hard to have a blog for VOIP stuff and boring too

12:00 PM  
Blogger Chuck Reynolds said...

longs book store MyOpp is the first portal to activate a complete portfolio of income streams with one click!longs book store

5:44 PM  
Blogger A. Weinberger said...

Hi thanks for your blog, I liked it! I also have a blog/site about flyfone voip that covers flyfone voip related stuff. Please feel free to visit.

12:19 AM  
Blogger Swingin80 said...

Cool blog you have. I have a motorola way pager related site. Check it out if you get a chance. The URL is motorola way pager

10:35 PM  
Blogger Henry Fernandes said...

It is a good move and will help all expats make calls to their home countries. Hope the internet cafes can get this service so that they will not opt for any illegal VOIPs in future.I just want to inform everyone to a new web site called VoIP Spear (www.voipspear.com) to measure your QoS. It's the Internet's best and most accessible QoS testing service.

7:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home