Wednesday, July 06, 2005

Data, data everywhere – but not a drop to drink

Martin Geddes - Telepocalypse


You can get a cellular signal even in the remotest places you go on holiday. However, progress is a patchy thing, and some of my experiences getting mobile data to work were so spectacularly, splendidly and unrelentingly dismal, I thought I’d share them with you. It’s quite long, so maybe get yourself a coffee first. If you’re an investor in telcos, I’d make that an Irish coffee. A stiff one.
My objective was simple: be able to access my e-mail while I’m away without my laptop, so I know there are no fires in my little consulting business needing my urgent attention.
Firstly, you need some connectivity.

1 Comments:

Blogger Henry Fernandes said...

I just want to inform everyone to a new web site called VoIP Spear (www.voipspear.com) to measure your QoS. It's the Internet's best and most accessible QoS testing service. It utilizes packet loss, latency, and jitter to calculate a MOS score between 1 (very poor quality) and 5 (excellent quality) for your Internet connection. VoIP Spear runs 24x7x365 so you can always have an idea of what your VoIP QoS is.

VoIP Spear shows your QoS in easy-to-read charts. You can also have it send you email alerts when your quality drops too low.

VoIP Spear (www.voipspear.com) is free for personal use.

1:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home