Monday, June 13, 2005

Jilted Lovers in IT?

Andy Abramson - VoIP Watch


Over two months ago Cisco's John Chambers pronounced his love for Nortel saying he was waiting at the altar.
Now two highly regarded ex-Cisco types have left Nortel after a falling out with the top dog, Bill Owens.
Smart thinkers believe that Nortel may have found another suitor from Asia or Europe who want a bigger North American presence. Either that, or Alcatel is back in the hunt to help keep Cisco at a distance.
Here's a key Chambers quote from a few months back...
"May I take a step back? We are in Canada and we are really proud to be here. Also, Canada has provide a lot of my best leaders. Rob Lloyd, the head of Europe, is Canadian. James Richardson, the head of marketing, is Canadian. Gordon Astles, the head of Asia Pacific, is Canadian. Nortel is very important to this country and it is key that Nortel do well. I have always viewed Nortel as both a competitor and potential partner. I am very upfront here: I would rather partner. I think it is in the best interest of our joint customers to partner as we move forward. I have a great deal of respect for Bill Owens and Gary Beshner, both whom I know and who are very good people. I have always been open to a partnership. I do not know how to do large combinations, so therefore I will not do them. There has never been a high-tech large combination that has ever worked well. And, you do not have to do these differently because there is no reason to follow through and work harder and smarter on this. Many other people have tried. I would like to partner with Nortel. There have not been any substantive discussions on that. Let me be very open: I am at the altar waiting to partner and if they liked to I would be honoured."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home