Saturday, May 07, 2005

Bell South To The Rescue

Andy Abramson - VoIP Watch

Bell South To The Rescue

Bell South has joined the list of RBOC's who are now offering E-911 access.
Isn't funny that all the Baby Bells pretty much have announced the opening of their networks at about the same time? For years I've always wondered just how they can all seem to offer the same things at about the same time. The answer is they all buy from the same integrators and equipment providers.
May 07, 2005 | Permalink | TrackBack (0)
Skype Names Are Very Creative but UK Rates Are Troubled and Uptake is Analyzed
The SkypeOwl has a list of rather inventive Skype user names. Here's the list. I also learned that Skype rates in the UK are not all created equal. News Factor analyzes the uptake of Skype and points out why USA adoption may not be as great as in some other parts of the world.
May 07, 2005 | Permalink | TrackBack (0)


VoIP, Vonage, Qwest and Skype


Om Malik must not be sleeping these days, as he's on a telephonic roll over the past few days, which is one of the reasons I've laid back on the Vonage announcement of their new money.
If you start to look at things both Skype and Vonage have in common one also has to look at what is the end game. For Skype it's change and likely move forward. For Vonage the investors need a pay out. That pay out can only come from a few places. Here's my picks.
1. Microsoft--if you look at their history they start working on software then acquire. Given they own parts of cable companies a Microsoft and Vonage combo means the ATA can be a Media Center and X-Box on/off ramp. They also have the money or stock value to buy Vonage at the blink of an eye.
2. Bell South-They've been really quiet when it comes to VoIP. They have a growing broadband base and already market well.
3. Qwest-Originally the leader of the pack when it came to fiber and IP, when they were US West. The post dot.com bubble and some lousy sales directions led them off the right track, but they still have one of the largest territories. Vonage and Qwest would be an interesting move, especially if Qwest is done fighting over Verizon.
4.Sprint/Nextel--A marketing machine they both know how to sell and own customers. Vonage could get them back into the home in a neat way. If anyone has the thinking to bridge the home and mobile. Vonage could be the missing link, because what they lack most of all, technology, has been Sprint's strong suit.
May 07, 2005 | Permalink | TrackBack (0)
EvDO and Skype
I took a few minutes with Stuart of Skype Journal yesterday with my new EvDO card that replaces the one I had during the trial. After installing on both a laptop PC and my Mac Powerbook, I Skyped with Stuart on the Mac.
The sound was perfect. I look more at the possibilities it provides. The big difference between WiFi and EvDO was the stability of the signal. While for the most part WiFi is rather stable, it's usually connected to DSL or Cable broadband and the services do have fluctuations from time to time.
On the series of calls with Stuart, the connection never wavered.
May 07, 2005 | Permalink | TrackBack (0)


Qwest VoIP Play-OneFlex

Qwest, which has been embroiled in the MCI take over versus Verizon has quietly launched OneFlex according to Aswath.
It seems to me like a "me to" type of offer.

3 Comments:

Blogger Orendon said...

WOW! What a great site you have here, Blog of VoIP blogs. I found is from my search for voice message broadcasting. In my opinion., is a cut above the others. Even though my research regarding Bell South To The Rescue lead me here but match is not exact for Bell South To The Rescue, the content is very beneficial and rewarding. Thank you for reading my comment here.

3:03 PM  
Blogger Orendon said...

My visit to your site, Blog of VoIP blogs, was the results of the free leads search for information regarding the subject Bell South To The Rescue. Even though some of the articles on the site may not support the free leads project, I must say, it’s an informational and very interesting site and its content will benefit many. Thank you for reading my comment.

10:09 PM  
Blogger Orendon said...

WOW! What a great site you have here, Blog of VoIP blogs. I found is from my search for autodialers. In my opinion., is a cut above the others. Even though my research regarding Bell South To The Rescue lead me here but match is not exact for Bell South To The Rescue, the content is very beneficial and rewarding. Thank you for reading my comment here.

9:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home